10 Ways to Move More This Month
April is Move More Month, and getting the recommended 150 minutes of exercise a week can feel overwhelming. But it doesn’t have to be that way. The good news is you can work activity into your daily routine. Here are 10 simple ways to add in some exercise with ease.
- Hit the trails. During your next stroll, throw in 10 minutes of brisk walking on our tree-lined trails.
- Dig this. Heavy gardening, like shoveling and digging, counts as exercise. Less strenuous gardening can also tone and strengthen muscles.
- Walk on water. Next time you’re taking a dip, try some speed walking in the pool. The resistance from the water is a low impact way to get in some exercise.
- Head to the center. The fitness center is a tried and true place to get in a workout. Next time you’re there, mix it up by trying a new piece of equipment that’s not typically in your routine.
- Paddle it. Life by the water has its advantages, and paddling the Saluda River is one of them. Great for toning your arms, shoulders, back, and core, kayaking or canoeing is great for any athletic ability.
- Walk and wag. Let your four-legged friend inspire you to sneak in some steps. Walking your dog is a great way to bond and boost your activity level.
- Hit the gym – the jungle gym, that is. Don’t let the kids be the only ones to burn off steam. If you’re taking the kids to the playground, use that time to throw in a few lunges, jumping jacks, or play a game of toss with the kids.
- Mow the lawn. Pushing a mower is a great way to turn a chore into an opportunity for activity. If you’re not used to mowing, break it up into sections and pace yourself.
- Cycle it. Pull out your bike and peddle around the neighborhood instead of driving. Or, gather the family and go for a ride together.
- Be a warrior! Borrow some moves from yoga class to do at home. Whether you prefer Warrior or Tree Pose, yoga positions can be great for toning, stretching, and balance.
Many of these exercises can be incorporated at home, and residents of Saluda River Club are at a distinct advantage because the community’s amenities are made for movement. Take this inspiration and add your own, and make the most of Move More Month, this April and beyond.